Wednesday, 3 August 2011

PowerPoints

While there are many interactive multimedia software programs available, PowerPoint is considered to be one of the most widely available and used program in the 21st century (Educauase Quarterly, 2011). According to Central Queensland University (2011), PowerPoint is a presentation tool that is used to support oral presentations. PowerPoints are also considered as a platform that supports the embedding of text, linking and interactivity, audio, video, charts and images.

As I am quite familiar with PowerPoint and have used it considerably, I find that it is an effective tool as key information can be displayed on screen while speaking about content. I also find this useful as visuall displays can be created that are appealing to the audience with images and audio. Therefore, I feel as though PowerPoints are a great tool for supporting both visual and auditory learners as auditory learners can process the spoken side and visual learners can process the presentation.

Below is a PowerPoint which I created for this blog. I thought that this powerpoint would be an appropriate introduction to decoding advertisements. It has a combination of images, text and audio and alerts children to quiestion their ideas about the purpose of the use of pictures in advertising. This PowerPoint would not only allow for fun and interactivity but would also connect to children's real life as real advertisements are used. It would encourage them to look at different advertisements and make meaning of them, outside of school.


From experience,I would consider this tool to be extremely easy to navigate and use. However, as I wanted to upload the presentation to my Blog page, I realised that uploading this presentation was not going to be easy. As this is something that I have not previously had to do and after a number of attempts, I resorted to screen shotting a slide from my powerpoint and uploading it as an image.

PowerPoint presentations can be a useful tool for learning in both a student or teacher directed situation.

Teachers for example could use this tool in the classroom to:
• Explain abstract concepts
• Motivate children when used in moderation
• Print out what they did in class for those absent students
• Create tutorials, assessment or quizzes
• Present information, procedures or instructions
• Display students work
• Document a field trip or event for parents, students and other staff

Students can also make use of PowerPoint’s when:
• Reporting on findings
• Creating interactive text or photo stories
• Demonstrate technological understandings

PowerPoint’s also come with a number of weaknesses such as:
• Computers sometimes crash and networks go down or viruses can plague computers
• Overuse can bore learners and diminish the effectiveness of PowerPoint’s
• Can be time consuming if the operator is not familiar with PowerPoint or because of it easiness, some may get carried away in making slides
• Can make an ugly and confusing presentation if the user is trying to use many of the effects available
• The presenter can become dependent on the PowerPoint and loose the audiences or students attention

References

Central Queensland University. (2011). Group 3 technologies: Creative ways to use PowerPoint. Retrieved July 2, 2011 from http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=186324

Educause Quarterly. (2011). Creating animations in PowerPoint to support student learning and engagement. Retrived July 2, 2011 from http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Quarterly/EDUCAUSEQuarterlyMagazineVolum/CreatingAnimationsinPowerPoint/192966

No comments:

Post a Comment