This week I read about 'Concept Mapping' and was suggested to explore https://bubbl.us/ and http://www.text2mindmap.com/. It can be said that concept mapping helps in the organising of information, and recognising and using patterns to link information. As said by Marzano & Pickering (1997), this process facilitates students in understanding, using and retaining information. As concept mapping can be used within the classroom either in written form or digitally on the computer, this process is an important tool that should be considered within the classroom.
As suggested, I explored both programs by summarising and presenting the information which I came to understand within topic one into a visual map on Bubbl.us as well as my current understandings of digital tools on Text2Mindmap. Whilst exploring these programs, I found both to be user friendly and easy to follow however that may be because I am considered as Prensky (2001) labels a Digital Native. While these digital programs can be highly effective and useful within the classroom, I found them to be quite dull and time consuming and would prefer to record my understandings more quickly and colourfully using images and words in written form on a large piece of paper.
Whilst exploring these programs I considered the laws of mind mapping that Buzan (2007) understands including the use of colours, connecting main ideas by branching to central topic and one key word per branch.
Concept mapping could be used to brainstorm ideas about a new topic (What students know or want to know about a topic) or knowledge gained from previous lesson. This tool could also be used to plan an assignment having each section (intro, body, conclusion titles) branching off from the main topic with information coming from each of the sections.
References:
Marzano, R. J., & Pickering, D. J. (1997). Dimensions of Learning (2nd Edition ed.). Aurora, Colorado: McRel.
Prensky, M 2001, On the horizon, Digital natives digital immigrants, University press.
No comments:
Post a Comment